Every Institution sets its vision in order to take it’s glory to great heights. The Lords Universal College of Education too strives to create the culture of excellence for the pre-service teachers to set their mark wherever they go as professionals. This requires them to be always motivated to learn throughout their professional and personal journey.
In order to provide them the platform where they can explore other avenues while studying for the B.Ed. programme, the Institution has established an association with the department of Lifelong Learning & Extension (DLLE) run by University of Mumbai soon after its inception. Through this connection the Institution promotes a meaningful & sustained rapport between the Institution & the community.
Extension work provides scope for students to communicate with other college students and teachers. It provides varies experiences while conducting activities at college and community levels. They are sensitized towards their role and duties as part of the society and community. They develop skills like leadership, communication, decision making and other life skills through extension work. Apart from these benefits, the students can score 10 additional marks which are added to their final university examination scores.
LUCE enrolls for the lifelong learning and Extension work since 2008. The projects of the extension work are basically community oriented and vocational oriented.
Objectives of these projects:
- To make students aware of the reality of the society.
- To develop entrepreneurship and leadership skills among students.
- To sensitize students towards role of women in the society
- To extend their role and services towards society and community.
- To develop public relations.
- To relate with common man and study their problems.
There are varied extension projects offered by the department. The Institution has so far selected following programs for the students with the objectives in line with its philosophy.
Projects and Activities:
- Status of Women in Society (SWS): A Research project with online survey
- Anna Poorna Yojana (APY): Learning to make healthy and nutritious food items and selling on no profit no loss basis.
- Population Education Club (PEC): Preparing lesson plans and implementing in schools to create awareness about Population explosion
Students voluntarily opt to take charge of the students for each project. They are called as Student Managers. Their responsibilities are as follows:
Role of Student Manager (SM):
The activities to be conducted under the Extension department are as follows:
- Training of the students in each semester for different activities under each project.
- College level activities like Debate, Poster making and exhibition, song composition, sales of food and nonfood items during break.
- Community level activities like street play, survey of women, spreading awareness through pamphlets and rally on women, delivering lessons in schools bring awareness in school/college students.
- Submitting the project report to the department
- Students’ Participation in Udaan Festival (Competitions: Anchor’s Selection for Festival, Street play and Poster Competition) proves motivational as these competitions are inter-collegiate in
Evaluation Process: Students work is evaluated in the following way:
- Submissions of Annexures signed by Field coordinator, Principal of the college and Extension work teachers.
- Project Evaluation by Extension work Teachers
- Project Evaluation by Field Coordinator
- Project Evaluation by Department of Life Long Learning Extension
Two meetings in a year with Field coordinator with Principal and extension work teachers are held. In addition to this, two meetings in a year with the principal and monthly meetings are held with the extension work teachers and student managers to plan college and community level activities. Documentation of the entire process is done.
current batch of F.Y.B.Ed. Students enrolled for the Anna Poorna Yojana (APY), Status of Women in Society (SWS) and S.Y.B.Ed. students enrolled for the Career Project(CP).
Under Anna Poorna Yojana(APY) students sold food and non-food items in the college premises during break time. This year students planned themes and prepared the food items accordingly and sold it. Themes were based on food components, i.e., Carbohydrates, Proteins, Vitamins, Fats, Minerals, Potassium.
They also created awareness among buyers about balanced diet and nutritious food.
For Status of Women in the Society, students used online platform to carry out the research project where google form was used to survey the perception of women belonging to different professions.
Under Career Project students had organized an exhibition in the different internship schools and Junior College. It was organized for the students to explore varied the career choices. Students prepared charts, brochure and pamphlet for creating awareness on different career options available after SSC and HSC grade in different streams.
Department of Lifelong Learning and Extension every academic year organizes competitons under the title “Udaan – The Flight of Extension”. This year LUCE students participated for the same and brought glory to the institution by bagging 2nd Prize in Poster Competition and Consolation Prize in Street Play Competition.